The staff and directors of the Anytown Public Library are conducting this survey to evaluate library service and plan for the future. Check off the boxes which best reflect your knowledge, use or opinion. Your input is valuable to us.
1. Do you know the location of Anytown Public Library?
2. Have you ever used the library?
3. Is there another library you use regularly?
4. When was the last time you used the Anytown Public Library?
|In the last week||In the last six months|
|In the last month||In the last year|
|In the last three months|
5. Why do you usually come to the library?
|Keeping up on a subject||Sports or recreation|
|Making or fixing something||Personal or family health|
|My work or job||Government information|
|A hobby||To attend a program|
|Personal interests||To bring my children|
|Class or course reading||A course paper or report|
6. How often do you find what you are looking for?
|Less than 50% of the time|
|50 – 75% of the time|
|More than 75% of the time|
7. Which of these items have you checked out from the library?
|Video cassettes||Art prints|
8. Which of these services have you used?
|Website||Teen homework help|
|Films or lectures||Referral to other places|
|Adult tutoring||Materials by mail|
|Computer training||Online chat with reference staff|
|Materials from other libraries||Phoning the library to answer a reference question|
9. What two things would increase your use of or satisfaction with the library?
|Open longer hours||More newspapers|
|More help with looking for books or materials||More copies of a popular book|
|More help answering questions||More childrens' materials|
|More teen materials||More adult materials|
|More programs||More magazines|
|More electronic magazines||More video materials|
10. What age group are you in?
|under 12||19 - 39||65+|
|13 - 18||40 - 64|
13. What was your approximate household income last year?
|$0 - $9,999||$35,000 - $44,999|
|$10,000 - $14,999||$45,000 or more|
|$15,000 - $24,999||Don't know|
|$25,000 - $34,999||Prefer not to say|
14. Highest education level you have reached:
|Less than high school||Some college|
|High school graduate||College graduate|
15. Number of people in your household:
16. Number of library card holders in your household:
17. How long have you lived in Anytown?
|All my life||10 - 20 years||Less than 5 years|
|20 years or more||5 - 10 years|
18. Part of town you live in (please circle number on the map below which is closest to your home).
Thank you for taking the time to answer this survey. Do you have any other comments or questions for us? Please mention them in the space provided on the next page.
Survey results highlightsHighlights from a community survey by Barbara Doyle and Veronica Storey-Ewalt and published in: Evans, G. Edward. Developing Library and Information Center Collections. 3rd Ed. Englewood, Colo.: Libraries Unlimited, 1995. 67.
Requested materials or services:More romance, mystery, westerns
Open evenings and all day Saturday
New children’s books
Subject areas of interest:Medicine
Agriculture (general and animal husbandry)
Home economics (cooking, nutrition, sewing, child rearing)
Children’s in 300/500/600 Dewey classes and fiction
Sociology and anthropology