- Look welcoming and animated.
- Appear interested in the person and what he or she needs.
- Greet people warmly and directly.
- Restate request.
- Ask open questions to get more information.
- Restate specific question by paraphrasing.
- Ask if some sources have been checked and what was found.
- Check appropriateness of level, depth of coverage
- Ask about format preferences
- Offer help with using the tool(s)
- Check if the question has been or can be answered with the material at hand.
- Check to see if the person is satisfied at the moment.
- Expressly offer additional help as needed.
- Withdraw cordially.
- Ascertain if the question has been completely answered.
- Check to see if anything else is needed, or if there’s another question.
ASCLA/American Library Association