Saturday, September 27, 2008

Why the library?

As I've already mentioned, I got my break in libraries by volunteering. It just felt right.

Despite my friends' opinions, I consider myself quite a boring person. I didn't excel at any particular subject at school - at least nothing that I thought I could continue with as I got older and to get a job with. I remember being at a year 9 options evening talking to the head of science, who was trying to convince me why I should take science classes every day for the next two years. My argument was that I was thoroughly convinced that whatever I ended up doing later in life, that science wasn't going to particularly help me in anyway.

Ten years later, do I regret only taking six hours of science every two weeks?

No, not at all.

I didn't take any science classes through grades 11 and 12. At college I took one Reference course which focused on science and technology. I passed it, and to my surprise, did reasonably well on the assignments searching for information. I came out with a B in that course, so my lack of science knowledge hasn't really hindered me so far!

Of course, taking two years to find employment didn't particularly help, but now that I'm getting my foot in the door, I'm climbing a mountain of books and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I learn something new every day. I want to be working in fifty years' time and learn something new the very day before I retire. I probably won't be working in the same positions that I'm currently in, but I will be still getting experience and knowledge.

Volunteering in libraries gave me a quench for this great adventure I'm embarking on. I'm not constantly working on one project; there's always something else to do.

Going to work every day is a pleasure. I get to work on a variety of projects every day. I'm constantly improving my skills and confidence. I'm gaining valuable knowledge and aiding those around me.

Above all, being in a library is where I belong. Some people have vocations to be doctors. Some people want to entertain the world for a living.

For me, the library is where I feel the most at ease. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: